Friday, April 17, 2009

6/7th Days in Japan

On thursday we had class as usual, but today we were to be taught by the school's only male teacher. Yuji-sensei is kinda creepy (to be blunt). Really funny. But creepy. Really good teacher. But, again, creepy.

Anyway, class went well. We learned how to actually say things to people. Things that you might actually use in public. Oh and we tried to beat him while putting the hiragana in order. We lost.

After foundation, we had culture class. This time we were painting hakata dolls. These dolls are actually quite famous and were the first Japanese doll to be designated by the Nat'l Government as a traditional arts/crafts industry.

The dolls that we painted are very cute and make a bell-like sound when you shake them, but I worry that they won't make it home as they are very fragile.

Once we got home we made sticky rice and stir fry for our bentos. Right around then I got my first migraine while in Japan. In fact, this is the first full on migraine that I have had in a very long time. I can't really explain why I got it. I had had a good lunch, sure I had some candy for snack, but... Basically, it must have been triggered by something I ate. Probably the soy sauce, but again, I don't really know. Not only was this the worst headache I'd had in months, it was also the fastest growing migraine I think I've ever had.

Generally, I know hours before I get a migraine. Or rather, I know whether I have a potential migraine. Kinda like the weather man telling you that there's a 20% chance of rain. I noticed that I might get a migraine while I was at school, but I ignored it (which I always do unless it gets worse). Then, while cooking, I noticed that it had indeed gotten worse and I decided that if it progressed, I would take a pill after I finished cooking. Basically, yesterday was no good.

Today was our last day of school for the week. After next week, we start intensive language training (that means that culture is replaced by another 2 hours of language). Monday and Friday are short day, so no culture today. We went home, started our first batch of laundry (which is still drying outside) and while I watched the washing machines, Shelly bought and cooked chicken for tomorrow's bento.

At 5:30 we left to go back to school for the Shabu shabu party. It was awesome! Shabu shabu is delicious, and plus the waiter guy totally made eyes at Shelly and I. ^^ At about 8, Shelly and I left early to explore the mall. We got lost (after touring the mall) in the red light district. I don't know how we got there, we just did. It really isn't that much different from the rest of town except that it smells like beer. And there are tons of guys. And a few scantily clad women. We saw a love hotel sign and a club that cost 100,000 en (about $100) for 40 mins. (an hour was 150,000 en).

We asked the 7/11 man which way Ohori Kouen was--the opposite direction. He was really nice and even tried to speak to us in English. Then we found the subway and asked the subway lady which subway to take (of course the one a ten minute walk away--still in the opposite direction of the red light district). Then we asked a random convenience store girl which way to go before we recognized the Daiei sign. From there, getting home was easy (but still about 15 mins by bike).

We didn't get home until 9:30 (our dorm's curfew is at 10). Anyway, this is the latest I have stayed up while in Japan, so I'm exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment