Monday, October 4, 2010

Roof over our heads

My roomie and I were really bored. So we decided to make a quick trick to Foodland. It was grey outside, but it had been all day. We began our ten-minute walk with high spirits--excited to finally have escaped from our a/c-less dorm room.

It wasn't until we were about 1/3 into our journey that it began to sprinkle. As most know, Hawaiian rain is nothing to worry about. It rains for awhile and then stops. We continued walking. About two steps later, it was pouring. It is important to remember when traveling that when it rains in Hawaii, it is buckets for five minutes, and then sun. Usually. Probably about 99% of the time. Generally. Yeah.

Roomie and I were nonplussed. We quickly slipped under a palm tree and remained predominately dry. Just as suspected, the rain stopped approximately 2 minutes later.

We continued our journey, walking a bit faster than before--just in case. We turned the corner down another street and were rewarded with another torrent of rain. And of course, this was the one street without palm trees of any kind.

After shrieking with laughter and running a few yards down the street, I had the brilliant idea that we take refuge under the eaves of someone's house. So we did.

Around 25 minutes later (apparently this was the other 1% of Hawiian rain trends) the rain had almost stopped. Just a tiny bit of sprinkling. We edged from under the roof, only to be met with the tenants of the home who had been sitting in their open garage.

Roomie exclaimed, "Thanks for letting us use your house!!" She was met with stifled laughter. My response was somewhat less controlled as I doubled over in near hysterics.

Giggling, we dashed down the street, partly to avoid any more rain and partly to remove ourselves from the awkward situation. We got some pizza, browsed the one clothing store in our small town, and checked out the supermarket for the 3rd time that week.

The walk home was uneventful. No rain, no random nice people offered us a ride home, just me and Roomie dragging our feet back to our stuffy room.

Funny thing is, this happened again yesterday. Only this time, I was walking home with several house mates and I had a date in 30 mins. We took shelter for about 10 mins under a different house, but when the rain didn't seem to be stopping, we decided to run home.

Luckily, someone did take pity on us--but not until we were 3/4 of the way there. We were drenched. And yet, I changed my outfit, dried my hair, reapplied makeup, and was completely ready for my date with time to spare. I'm just that awesome.


The funny thing is, I have 4 umbrellas. Two super huge ones, and two mini ones. Now if only I could remember to use them...

But if you were thinking about a Christmas gift, this would be great:

1 comment: